• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got fired and could not stick up for myself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

majep5

What is the name of your state? TX

i got fired from my job for a representative of mine going to human resources to ask a question. of course the intent was not to get me in trouble but i am not longer employed there. i first went through a panel review of why i asked her to talk to her boyfriend outside of the work area. i was told that i should not have said that. i feel that they did not listen to my reason or even to my bay of 14 people after they put them through a panel to find out they all loved me to death. i still got fired and want to know if i have any legal rights to sue.

J

JMA22

it may be just the 3 hours of sleep ive had, but im rather confused about what happened. you said "i got fired from my job for a representative of mine going to human resources to ask a question." but then you said "...i asked her to talk to her boyfriend outside of the work area."- what is that? i thought you said you representative went to HR?

H

hexeliebe

The company doesn't need a reason to fire you unless you are a protected employee and the reason is your protected status. That means minority, religion, sexual bias or other Federally protected status.

Besides, if you made as much sense at the hearing as you did here it's no wonder you were fired, you can't put a complete sentence together that makes sense.

majep5

Basically a rep went to HR to complain that she feels what I said was inapproriate. She did not intend for HR to pull me aside. HR did say that I had no reason saying what I said. Before I had the opportunity to explain myself HR had already determined that I was guilty and had a written warning for me. Then used this written warning as grounds for termination. My complaint is that as an employee I dont even get a chance to state my case before I am judged and executed.

for JMA22, The rep went to HR to complain. The reason she went to HR was because I told her "i asked her to talk to her boyfriend outside of the work area"

Just like you (hexeliebe) judged me by one paragraph.

Thanks for the replys.

H

hexeliebe

Whether I "JUDGED" you or not is immaterial. Your employer has the right to fire you for cause or no cause.

You have no case.

And, in fact, if a complaint has been lodged with HR regarding what was preceived as 'sexual harrassement' (remember, it's not what you intended, it's how the message was preceived) then if HR hadn't acted they could be held liable for a hostile work environment.

Next time keep your comments about work and not about someone's life outside of work. Even if she was talking to her boyfriend on company time, your correct response to her should have been "Please keep personal contact during company time at a minimum."

HomeGuru

majep5 said:
What is the name of your state? TX

i got fired from my job for a representative of mine going to human resources to ask a question. of course the intent was not to get me in trouble but i am not longer employed there. i first went through a panel review of why i asked her to talk to her boyfriend outside of the work area. i was told that i should not have said that. i feel that they did not listen to my reason or even to my bay of 14 people after they put them through a panel to find out they all loved me to death. i still got fired and want to know if i have any legal rights to sue.
**A: you can sue and lose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">