• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got Some Questions About GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GA Links

What is the name of your state? Ga

Okay so my friend was basically AWOL last week from her job b/c she was going on interviews. She got hired at the same company I work at. Well they do a pretty thorough b/g check.

She seems to think that it's
1. against the law for an employer to give a negative reference.(she's scared b/c she's burned her bridges with her current employer)
2. contact previous employers w/o her consent and
3. employer is only allowed to check dates of employment and nothing else.

I've tried explaining to her that all her info is incorrect but she doesn't get it.

Cbg, Beth, and/or pattytx can please post a link about this for me? TIA

Last edited:

seniorjudge

jpritchett81 said:

Okay so my friend was basically AWOL last week from her job b/c she was going on interviews. She got hired at the same company I work at. Well they do a pretty thorough b/g check.

1. against the law for an employer to give a negative reference.(she's scared b/c she's burned her bridges with her current employer)

I've tried explaining to her that all her info is incorrect but she doesn't get it.

The answers to your questions are no, no, and no.

There is no link that anyone can cite you.

If your friend thinks this, then have her cite the statute or case law.

(Hint: Ain't no such critter.)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I can't post any links because you're going at it from the wrong end. It's not that a law exists that says an employer can give a negative reference; it's that no law exists saying that they can't. It's not that there's a law saying employers can't contact previous employers without her consent; it's that no law exists limiting who the employer can contact. It's not that a there's a law saying employers can ask for more that dates of employment; it's that no law exists that limits what they can ask for.

Your friend is wrong on all counts, but she's going to have to learn the hard way if she won't listen to you. The only thing I can think of is to follow SJ's suggestion; tell her to show you these laws she is so sure exist.

Beth3

jpritchett81 said:

It sounds as though she may find out the hard way that she's wrong.

Well I tried telling her. I'm not trying to rub it in her face that she's wrong....I just don't want my friends/family believing in false statements. I would want someone to tell me ya know???

Beth3

If your friend is determined to hang onto her erroneous beliefs in the face of all evidence to the contrary, there's not a darn thing you can do about it. Some people have to get run over by a truck before they'll believe that standing in the middle of the freeway at rush hour isn't a good idea, no matter how many people have already told them that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">