• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

got terminated or suspended because of an arrest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laureenphil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Hi there,
I need help and clarity in my case. I was involved in a bad relationship when I work in a company and my exhusband filed false charges againts me, I got arrested and the terminate me/suspend me at work. The GM told me to fix my case then I can go back to work.My exhusband sign a waiver not to prosecute me as he wasn't hurt at all, and din't even show up in court. All the charges were drop! I was jobless for almost 3 months with no income. Early this month I re apply for the jod and was surprise that I was not elligeble for rehiring... The reason?**************.because of that arrest!!
My question is, people got arrested are innocent till they are provent guilty! A'm I rigth?? Do the cormpany have the rigth to terminate me because I got arrested? Do I have the rigth to sue them?:confused:
Thank you for any help..

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Hi there,
I need help and clarity in my case. I was involved in a bad relationship when I work in a company and my exhusband filed false charges againts me, I got arrested and the terminate me/suspend me at work. The GM told me to fix my case then I can go back to work.My exhusband sign a waiver not to prosecute me as he wasn't hurt at all, and din't even show up in court. All the charges were drop! I was jobless for almost 3 months with no income. Early this month I re apply for the jod and was surprise that I was not elligeble for rehiring... The reason?**************.because of that arrest!!
My question is, people got arrested are innocent till they are provent guilty! A'm I rigth?? Do the cormpany have the rigth to terminate me because I got arrested? Do I have the rigth to sue them?:confused:
Thank you for any help..
You can be fired for almost any reason in your state, so yes they had the right to terminate you because of your arrest. In our country anyone can sue anybody for any reason. You won't win though.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And unless you had a bona fide, legally binding contract that specifically says otherwise, the company had no legal obligation to rehire you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">