• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Govt employee plays on Internet all day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klady

I participate in a message board where there is a guy who plays around on the Internet all day at his job - he works for the federal gov't. Now, this might not be so terrible but he is disruptive and arrogant and BRAGS that he does what he wants at work and has gotten several raises and promotions. This fool even uses a federal govt e-mail address in his profile and talks about how he corresponds all day with women he meets thru dating sites. I know his name, the dept he works for and I've done some research and found names and e-mail addresses of various people at that department.

Isn't this at the very least gross misconduct or misuse of government resources? I know of people in public and private sector who have been disciplined and even fired for much less. Taxpayers are paying his salary for him to play all day and then complain about his boss and co-workers. I'm thinking of reporting him. What are the ramifications?

Last edited:

H

hexeliebe

I'm thinking of reporting him. What are the ramifications?
And how do you know he plays on the internet all day? Maybe because you do too?

Be very careful of throwing stones against a rubber wall, they have a tendency to slap you in the ass on the return trip.

K

klady

hex,

How do I know? Well, because I only participate at night and see the times of his posts. He said he works 8 to 5. Another reason would be because he posts about 50 times a day, and if you would read my post here you would see I said he uses a federal govt e-mail address in his profile. You might also notice I said he talks all the time about how he plays on the Internet all day. That would be another clue.

He has no idea where I work or who I am. So what the heck do you mean by a rubber wall and smakin me in the ass? I', not the one violating work rules.

Looks like I hit a nerve. You sound like one of those people who gets mad when someone reports a hit and run driver and chastizes the witness for even being on the street.

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

And of course, you believe everything a man tells you.

Geeez, where were you when I was looking for love in all the wrong places.

And just how is this any of your business?

O.K. go and report him. Do whatever the hell you want. And don't be surprised if you get a libel suit filed against you.

Basically, you have not one shred of evidence that supports anything except you met someone online, he has made claims (either true or not) and you feel like the masked avenger and want to play dudley dooright.

Have fun. It's your ass on the chopping block.

M

mrdave

govt employee

go figure! were paying a bunch of people tax dollars to play on a planet with remote control buggy's,paid for with tax dollar's.so we might-as-well pay another idiot more tax dollar's to play on the internet.wonder if this is the first time this has happen?

K

klady

>>And don't be surprised if you get a libel suit filed against you.

Basically, you have not one shred of evidence that supports anything except you met someone online, he has made claims (either true or not)<<

hex,

Basically, you're not too bright, are you? No surprise you havn't found love. Even using an employer's e-maill adress to join a personal message board and talk trash is against most policies, and definitely against govt policies.

I did not meet anyone, you dope.

As far as libel, give me a freaking break, LOL! Okay, so he is lying. He does not "work" for the federal government. He's just saying that to get people all riled up. He is a retired minister posting from heaven.

I guess you haven't heard about how all computer and internet activity can easily be verified.

You really need to do your homework.

He is abusing time and government resources and my ass is on the chopping block. Thanks for nothing, Einstein. You are dismissed.

Last edited:
M

mrdave

govt employee

sorry!scratch out idoit,replace with thief.........do what a person with moral's would do.

R

Ramoth

klady, even if it's against company/gov't policy to use your work email as a contact on a message board, it's not against the law.

If you want legal advice, I highly doubt that what this guy is doing is illegal. If you want ethical advice, ask your priest.

K

klady

Ramoth
I know that what he is doing is not illegal.
And I was not asking for moral or ethical advice. If so I would go to www.godhelpme.com or turn on Billy Graham show.
I also know that reporting him is not illegal. After all, they only need to look into it and they will see that he is abusing time and resources.

Since this section of the forum addresses employment issues, I was asking about the probable employment ramifications.

Last edited:
A

allen03

Klady,

I've always thought it was stupid of people to give out personal and identifying information on message boards. They should know that it can be used against them.

You say his e-mail address was on his profile (and it was later deleted - so looks like you, at some point, wrote it down or used it yourself). Whether it was a government e-mail account or a private employer, yes it can be traced and if he is posting and e-mailing personally communication during work hours most employers would not just shrug it off. Even if he used a personal account on Yahoo or Hotmail or AOL he is abusing employer time and resources. Many employers have policies against this, and they make it clear to employees. Some even require the employee sign something (when hired) indicating they understand it's against policy and grounds for dismissal. I've know of almost-perfect employees who have gotten fired because they sent a couple Happy Birthday to Aunt Fran e-mails.

The allusions to a libel suit are utterly ridiculous. If you really wanted to be anonymous you could go to a library, create an e-mail account, and send the information and site address where he is posting to Human Resources or whatever. He might get off with a warning, but I doubt it. Or you could e-mail him yourself and slyly mention that his employer might not appreciate knowing how he is spending his time.

However, you might want to examine your motives. If his posts bother you, put him on ignore. What's the real deal - "taxpayer concern" or revenge? Be honest with yourself about why you really want to "fix his wagon", to the extent of getting him fired.

L

loocpoc

As a govt employee (and someone who investigates computer usage among federal employees within my agency), there are allowances set by ALL government agencies to all employees to check private email and to use the internet. If you feel that he is misusing the privledge of his govt computer, you can contact his agency (Id suggest having the IP numbers/email handy) and making a complaint. What will happen is an investigation will take place by his agency Information security officer (and if the agency has police/Inspector General) and if it is determined that he is guilty he will most likely either have his internet suspended or he can face disciplinary action. However if he comes out of this exonerated, Id suggest getting a lawyer and be ready for a possible lawsuit and possible criminal legal action.

H

hexeliebe

The allusions to a libel suit are utterly ridiculous. QUOTE]

O.K. smartass, now back that up. Or do you even know what libel means?

If you really wanted to be anonymous you could go to a library, create an e-mail account, and send the information and site address where he is posting to Human Resources or whatever.
And if you really believe this, you try it. In fact, e-mail me that way. I will post your private information on this forum.

Instead of talking about things you know nothing about maybe it's time you shut the hell up.

A

allen03

Hexeliebe,

Hmmm. You seem to be way too emotionally involved and defensive in this thread. Not hard to guess why, LMAO!

Yeah, I know what libel is. Do YOU?

Anyway, No, I have no desire to communicate with you via e-mail and it has nothing to do with you proving squat because you can't. Actually, it's because that when I read your posts (those I even bother to read as opposed to scrolling by) it's clear you're a high-strug whack-job who talks off the top of your head and the bottom of your feet. Your blowhard answers and advice are worthless and your attempts at wit and humor are pitiful. .:rolleyes: Instead of telling others to drink Jim Jones Kool-aid (such as you did in a recent thread) take a swig yourself, pal.

You're gonna tell me that if I (or anyone) goes to a public computer where there is no ID requirement or sign-in procedure, creates an e-mail acct with phoney info, and sends an e-mail to you or to the aforementioned government agency, that YOU, the all-knowing, can identify that person. That....is....a.....lie and you know it.

QUICK! What color is my T-shirt?
What am I snacking on right now?

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hexeliebe

Another forum troll with no balls.

O.K. if you know what libel is then tell us poor misinformed people here. I'm sure we'd love to be enlightened by your legal knowledge.

Or do you even have the balls for that?

Questions for Loocpoc,

>>However if he comes out of this exonerated, Id suggest getting a lawyer and be ready for a possible lawsuit and possible criminal legal action.<<

1. If as she said, he is bragging about doing all this on govt time, all should would have to do would be to supply the link to where he is saying these things (which would also show dates and times). How would that be libel?

2. Why - and how would Klady be prosecuted even if he is "exonerated"? (which is not bloody likely). At a former job, someone was fired for doing similar things. IT security tracked the person's computer and Internet usage for a long time. No one reported the person - but they did routine checks.

3. Everyday, people report instances of suspected government fraud, waste and abuse of all kinds. Sometimes the reports are valid, sometimes not. Often the complaint is anonymous and an IP address might narrow down to the city, but not necessarily the person (She coule even type everything and send it in the mail, using gloves so as not to leave prints. Again, that would tell the city, but not reveal the person who made the complaint.) It's not as if she is making all this up. If he is lying and just saying this to get attention, that's his problem. Are you telling me that the people she reports this to are going to 1) find out who she is then 2) give this giy her name, address, etc. ? I find that hard to believe.

One reason this caught my eye was that about a year ago I saw a thread on another site where a woman was dogging her employer, saying she was looking for another job, and she copied and pasted an e-mail from her supervisor - complete with her name, supervisor name, and the name of the employer. Apparently she had some enemies on the site, because someone quickly contacted her employer and after she was fired she posted a "farewell" to the board. Now, granted, this guy does not appear to be THAT stupid. But when people use employer Ips and employer e-mail addresses they open themselves up to all kinds of things.

But unless the person was harassing/threatening ME on company time and from a company or government computer, I'd let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">