• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Green Bay Packers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amoore05

What is the name of your state? Dallas TX
I'm doing a report in school. We need to convince a jury that Sam Young should not of been fired. Sam lives in Dallas he was a grocery store clerk. He got fired for wearing a Green Bay Packers shirt to work. The Packers and the Cowboys are rivals, he got fired on the weekend of the NFC Championship. Does anyone have any advice??

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't do other people's homework. But I'll give you this much to go on; look up employment at will. Under the law, it was perfectly legal to fire him for wearing a rival teams shirt.

Beth3

Only that the law isn't on your side. Sam Young was almost certainly an employee "at will" which means that either party (the employer and the employee) could sever the employment relationship at any time for any reason. Sam could quit the job whenever he wanted and the grocery store could fire him whenever he wanted, as long as they didn't do so for a specifically prohibited reason, such as because of his age, race, religion, national origin, etc. So they could legally fire him for wearing a Green Bay Packer jersey to work if they wanted to. (Since I'm in Wisconsin however, I applaud Sam's sartorial choice. Who in their right mind would wear a nasty Cowboy's jersey???)

The other argument you may be thinking of making is that wearing a GBP jersey is protected by the First Amendment to the Constitution which guarantees us the freedom of expression. Unfortunately for Sam, that allows him to criticize the government and doesn't apply in the workplace.

I have to tell you, amoore, you've been handed the losing side of the case. I don't see any legal basis on which you can argue that the employer acted unlawfully in terminating Sam.

You can certainly TRY to argue that it's a First Amendment issue and/or that term'ing Sam was a "public policy" violation. The latter means that while there was no specific law that the employer violated, the public's best interests were harmed when the employer terminated Sam for this reason.

Your best bet however may be to argue for a change of venue for the trial and see if you can get it moved to Wisconsin. You'll have a much more sympathetic jury here. :)

Good luck.

amoore05

CBG I didn't ask you to type my report and hand it in for me. My professors encourage us to ask for advice and get the opinions of others.

amoore05

Beth3 Thanks for your reply. Great advice. I don't agree that he should of been fired but it would be much easier to write a report on why it was okay for Sam to be terminated.

anteater

amoore05 said:
Beth3 Thanks for your reply. Great advice. I don't agree that he should of been fired but it would be much easier to write a report on why it was okay for Sam to be terminated.
The defendant's argument will be: under Texas law, Sam could have been shot on the spot. The defendant exercised extreme tolerance by only firing Sam.

:D :D :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But it's my choice whether or not I supply that advice or opinion, not your professor's. I happen to think you'll learn more if you do the research yourself, not have someone spoon feed it to you. I gave you the doctrine to look for; what more should I have done?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">