• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GROUNDS FOR SUING ON SLANDER/DEFAMATION

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Andrea Breaux

what are the california laws for slander/libel?

Is the company liable for employees that have defamed a former employee after they leave the company? If these same former co-workers kept trying to prevent me from getting a job by finding out where and which potential employer I've talked subsequently called them and told them that I lied on my resume and everything that I put on my resume is trash, can't that be considered not only slander/defamation but also a form of harrassment? What if the president of the company knew of such actions on the part of these employees and did nothing about it but laugh.

Would I need to sue the individuals or the company?

If as a result of these co-workers telling my current employer the same defamatory remarks regarding my resume being a lie, I get fired be liable for wrongful termination.

What if they also as a result of what they have been told did another background check after hiring me to confirm or deny what they've been told. Can that be grounds for a lawsuit?

I also wanted to know if there is any way that a potential employer can find out your salary is, beside me telling them.

Are there sources that companies have at their disposal to investigate whether a potential employee is telling the truth about their yearly salary? Everyone I've talked to said no, they can't get that information and if they do they either did so illegally or HR did something illegally.
What is true and what is false about touchy subjects such as SALARY? NEED HELP ASAP.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Basically, to get california law, go to freeadvice.com, click on state resources, state statute and then california, click on civil code and press search. it should be in there.

As to other issues, if these former employees/coworkers/employers are saying things about you, it might be an invasion of privacy issue (beyond scope of consent you gave to have them speak about you)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">