• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had a baby, sacked while on maternity leave! Please help me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abi1984

What is the name of your state? I'm from the UK

Hi I'm not sure if anybody would be able to help me but here goes..

I began working for my employer in Oct 2004 on a permanent basis. I was replacing a girl on Maternity leave as a receptionist and the understanding was that when she returned to work I would still be employed in a similar admin position. In January I discovered that I was pregnant, I'd had no idea and learned from the doctor that I was three months pregnant. This meant that I was pregnant before I accepted the job. I was fair and honest with my employer and told them immediately that I truly had no idea that I was pregnant when I accepted the job.

At this time there was a lady I'll call Mrs X who dealt with all of the accounting and personnell matters. She held a meeting with me and told me that as I was pregnant before I took the job I would not be entitled to Maternty Pay or my job held for me when my maternity leave ended. However, she then held a meeting with the managing director and told me that despite not having to, the M.D would be happy for me to return to work with them after my leave. Mrs X left the company a week later and moved to Spain.

I'm now five months into my maternity leave and was asked to come into the office to discuss the future. I was told that as the girl I was replacing has returned to work full time that there was no job for me when my leave ended and that they would have to let me go.

I never got anything in writing about my position with the company apart from my contract I signed when I began working, and the letter confirming the Termination of Employment. ( I Know, I should have asked) :eek:

I'd really appreciate anybodys advice I know that the law in the UK states that you cannot dismiss somebody for having a baby as this seems obvious that they are doing, but I don't know what my rights are as far as me being pregnant before I took the job?

Please please help! I'll check the site everyday to see if anybody responds

Help would be really really appreciated

TCASWFL

Again this is US law ONLY! No one here will be able to advise you on the employment laws in the UK as they are not the same as US employment laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">