• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had a contract - was fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legohouse

I posted this in Wage and Salaries as I am unsure where to post this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have been at a job since May of 2012. I made an hourly wage and was paid accordingly. In the month of November, my employer approached me with the idea of switching to a salary (bi-weekly) compensation which would begin January 1, 2013. We discussed the topic and my employer created a contract, in which states that I will be compensated X amount monthly, to be split and paid out on the 1st and 15th of every month starting January 1, 2013. We both read over the contract and both signed it.

On December 31, 2012, I was written a check for X amount (the amount agreed) and it was dated for the 1st of January. I deposited the check on January 2nd. On January 3rd, my employer told me I would not be receiving another check until February 1st. I was confused, and asked her to explain. She stated that she had prepaid me for the 15th, and therefore I would not receive another check until Feb 1st. I explained to her that I did not understand, since the contract states I would be paid on the 1st and 15th of every month, starting January 1st. She continued to argue with me. I informed her that if she could not stick to the contract we signed, I would have to make my last day January 15th, working off what she paid me until then. She immediately fired me on the spot and told me to send her check back. I said I already deposited it since it was now the 3rd of January.

She is trying to get the money back, but since she fired me, and broke the contract (by not wanting to pay me until the 1st of February, when the agreement - in the contract - states I should be paid on the 1st AND 15th of each month starting 1/1/13), am I legally obligated to send her back anything at all? I tried to do the right thing and stick to the contract and said if she could not do the same I would have to look for work elsewhere. Without considering my concerns, or offer to give her a two-week notice, she fired me.

I have proof of me saying these things and her firing me (in text). I am not sure what to do, and cannot afford an attorney. I have consulted some friends and family members, who are telling me I AM entitled to the money, since she fired me, BUT to make myself feel better, as I want to do the right thing, I need some legal advice somehow. Please, if anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So, you think that on the basis of something that hadn't happened yet, you are entitled to be paid for half a month that you didn't work?

tranquility

I agree with cbg, what is your goal? You don't get to be paid more than a month for a month's worth of work. It seems the employer paid too soon. Yay! You WIN! You got paid for time before you worked.

If you want an EXTRA 1/2 month's salary because of how the agreement is worded, you will not get it.

Again, what is your goal?

Wait, I see, you want more than you deserve. ......No court will allow it. Sorry.

legohouse

To answer both of you; I'm not trying to get the whole month salary at all, I'm just pissed generally because she fired me the way she did. The only reason why I tried to give her a two week notice is because she didn't want to stick to the contract that we both signed. I have absolutely NO problem sending the money back, if I am not entitled to it - I want to be fair and do what is right, however, because of this contract I do not know who is in the right here. I appreciate your answers, but I'm not trying to be the bad guy here at all! Just want to do what is right and fair, especially for myself.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even if we assume that what you are calling a contract actually is a contract (and that is by no means certain) unless it specifically and in so many words says that you are entitled to two weeks pay in lieu of notice, you are not entitled to be paid beyond the last day that you actually worked.

legohouse

I mean, she wrote it up. It states clearly what I will be paid and when, and the duties I am responsible for etc. I am, well, was a nanny. The contract says nothing at all about separation (quitting or termination), only my duties and amount to be paid. I simply told her, like I said before, if she could not stick to the contract I'd have to leave, as I think anyone else would, and then she told me not to come back and to send her a check.

So I guess I'm not entitled to anything other than what I worked, even though she suddenly let me go because she didn't want to stick to the contract?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. You are not entitled to anything beyond what you actually worked. Even though she suddenly let you go because she didn't want to stick to the contract.

Not unless the alleged contract specifically, expressly, and in so many words clearly and distinctly says you are.

Is that clear enough for you now?

LdiJ

I posted this in Wage and Salaries as I am unsure where to post this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have been at a job since May of 2012. I made an hourly wage and was paid accordingly. In the month of November, my employer approached me with the idea of switching to a salary (bi-weekly) compensation which would begin January 1, 2013. We discussed the topic and my employer created a contract, in which states that I will be compensated X amount monthly, to be split and paid out on the 1st and 15th of every month starting January 1, 2013. We both read over the contract and both signed it.

On December 31, 2012, I was written a check for X amount (the amount agreed) and it was dated for the 1st of January. I deposited the check on January 2nd. On January 3rd, my employer told me I would not be receiving another check until February 1st. I was confused, and asked her to explain. She stated that she had prepaid me for the 15th, and therefore I would not receive another check until Feb 1st. I explained to her that I did not understand, since the contract states I would be paid on the 1st and 15th of every month, starting January 1st. She continued to argue with me. I informed her that if she could not stick to the contract we signed, I would have to make my last day January 15th, working off what she paid me until then. She immediately fired me on the spot and told me to send her check back. I said I already deposited it since it was now the 3rd of January.

She is trying to get the money back, but since she fired me, and broke the contract (by not wanting to pay me until the 1st of February, when the agreement - in the contract - states I should be paid on the 1st AND 15th of each month starting 1/1/13), am I legally obligated to send her back anything at all? I tried to do the right thing and stick to the contract and said if she could not do the same I would have to look for work elsewhere. Without considering my concerns, or offer to give her a two-week notice, she fired me.

I have proof of me saying these things and her firing me (in text). I am not sure what to do, and cannot afford an attorney. I have consulted some friends and family members, who are telling me I AM entitled to the money, since she fired me, BUT to make myself feel better, as I want to do the right thing, I need some legal advice somehow. Please, if anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
I am viewing this slightly differently than the others...MAYBE.

This is ongoing employment for you. When did you receive your last paycheck prior to the January 1 paycheck, and what time period did that cover?

legohouse

Ld,

My last check was for the previous Friday (12/28) and it covered that week (12/24-12/28), as then I was still on an hourly/weekly rate. Tuesday the first was when the salary contract became in effect.

LdiJ

Ld,

My last check was for the previous Friday (12/28) and it covered that week (12/24-12/28), as then I was still on an hourly/weekly rate. Tuesday the first was when the salary contract became in effect.
Ok, then your manager was correct. Your first paycheck under the new salary arrangement should not have been until the 15th of January, and the next one on the 1st of February. You got paid two weeks early/in advance and there is no companies that pay early/in advance.

Whether or not she could collect the money back from you is a bit up in the air.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">