• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had surgery/on restriction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AZchic7

What is the name of your state? AZ

My mom works for a retail company. She had surgery and was out of work for 7 weeks. When she returned to work, her doctor gave her a written notice that she is not to lift anything over 20 lbs. When she gave the notice to her boss, (the boss) was very understanding and said it "would not be a problem". (There are two witnesses who heard the boss say this.) Now, the boss is throwing it up in my moms face and trying to get rid of her because she "cannot lift over 20 lbs."

Does anyone know what my mom's rights are, if any??

A

AZchic7

No, it does not. She is on "price change" where they go around with those 'little machines' and change prices and shelf labels, mark items on clearance, etc. Her boss sometimes makes them go into the back room and lift items out onto the sales floor. It is not in her job description...that is a part of the stocking group's work. You could say this boss makes them do this when she wants to "punish" them. She likes to watch two 55 year old women struggle.

A

AZchic7

The 20 lb. restriction is for life and the surgery was indirectly a result from work. Her bladder was falling out and she had to have it put back into place. It is only held up by two or three stitches.

The thing is, if it were going to be such a big issue, I don't understand why, when she returned to work, the boss didn't offer to move her to a different area of work. I don't understand why she would tell my mom it was "no problem" if it was really going to be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">