• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had verbal job offer, incurred $1,000 in expenses, then job offer rescinded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needadvice1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH.

I was offered a job by Washington Mutual in October of 2007. The job was in NYC and I live in Boston. I have the recorded voice message that manager left me saying that I had the job. I called him and he verbally told me to get an apartment in NYC so that I could start the job and that he was having a letter issued to me but he verbally told me I had the job.

I went to NYC for 1 week and apartment hunted at a cost of over $1,000 that I paid out of my own funds.

I was about to sign a lease when I was told that the job offer was rescinded. Now - my background check had already been completed - so it wasn't that something came up on my background check - that had already been completed at the point. What happened is that Washington Mutual was experiencing financial problems so that was the reason the offer was rescinded. Due to the financial difficulties they were experiencing - at the last moment Washington Mutual asked for NEW INFORMATION regarding my past production figures (job was to be a mortgage loan officer) and when I fell short - they rescinded the job offer. I.e. they established NEW criteria after I was verbally offered the job but BEFORE they would issue the offer letter.

To further complicate things -Washington Mutual was seized by the FDIC and Chase bought the assets of the company from FDIC. Washington Mutual Bank no longer exists except for the name transition purposes.

Can I sue Chase and win? Can I sue the manager and win? I am referring to small claims court. It has been nearly one year - is there a deadline for when I can sue? I plan to file lawsuit right away. Is it ok to file the lawsuit where I live in NH?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">