• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment or Not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bear1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana

I'm an 18 yr old female. Have worked at my job since 8/04 and got fired. I have never been in any trouble at work, missed a day, or been late. A couple months ago started dating 17 yr old coworker. The manager did not have a problem with this relationship. Two weeks ago we broke up and the problems began. Ex came to retrieve his things. Brought an assistant with him along with other employees. I don't feel the assistant should have came to my house after hours. Another assistant asked me to leave once when I went their to purchase something, because the ex felt threatened. I then talked to my manager and told him, I have no problem with ex, could get along with him, my job was too important. He said ok, just try and work it out.

Since then, ex has called me names, harassed me, lied about me, and threatened me. I have reported this to the manager and an assistant. I have witnesses (coworkers and 2 assistants telling him yesterday to knock it off). This has made me literally sick. So, yesterday, he started in on me about being pregnant. Which I'm not. Today, I get called in and they fire me. When asked why they state because my parents threatened him at our work. Another lie from him and I suffer. Is there anything I can do?

Beth3

1) When asked why they state because my parents threatened him at our work. So what did your parents do? Did they have some contact with your ex-boyfriend?

2) ex has called me names, harassed me, lied about me, and threatened me. You need to provide details about these things, including when and where these things happened.

Bear1

Harrassment or Not?

My parents were just there in case he started something. Nothing was done by them.

As for examples: He called me a b and wh. He threatened me and damages to my vehicle. Lies: Told manager I had people in parking lot waiting on him. All of this would happen at work. Hope this answers your question.

Beth3

I think this falls short of sexual harassment. He wasn't doing any of this because of your gender; he was doing it because the two of had an ugly break-up and were too immature to handle it. (For future reference, this is why it's usually an excellent reason not to date people you work with.)

If the employer got fed up with your personal situation impacting the workplace and the final straw was your parents showing up at work and thus getting involved, they were free terminate you. (Personally, I'd likely have terminated him as well but then again, we're only getting one side of the story.)

If he damaged your personal property and/or threatened violence, then you should file a criminal complaint with the police department.

Bear1

Harrassment or Not?

He is getting released today and I have filed a report about the threat in case something does happen to me or my property.

I have had 2 other assistants say that the assistant that came to my house, went to far and I should push with an attorney or corporate that management did not insure me a safe work place.

Yes, I definetely have learned my lesson on this one. Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Management does not owe you a workplace that is free of anything disagreeable. Your manager is not responsible for the fact that your ex is a jerk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">