• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harassment/wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

peter876

What is the name of your state? New York

3 months ago I responded to an email for support from a high leve executive in my company. The response was taken totally out of context and I was told they were going to fire me for it.
They didn't fire me but I was given an ultimatum that if I didn't improve my job performance by a certain date,they would take further action.
Although there was no indication of any poor job performance in my current position or during my 10 years at the company before this incident it was included in a memo from HR.
I was also given a poor review. Since the incident I have complied with all their requests. The date has come and gone and now HR wants to extend their ultimatum another 2 months although my direct manager wants to close the incident because he feels I have improved enough to close out the incident and move on.

This is becoming harassment to me. No matter what I do they will not let it go. It seems like someone is out to get me.

What are my rights in this case?

I feel like my only choice is to resign or they are going to fire me. Can they fire me for doing my job?

HomeGuru

peter876 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

3 months ago I responded to an email for support from a high leve executive in my company. The response was taken totally out of context and I was told they were going to fire me for it.
They didn't fire me but I was given an ultimatum that if I didn't improve my job performance by a certain date,they would take further action.
Although there was no indication of any poor job performance in my current position or during my 10 years at the company before this incident it was included in a memo from HR.
I was also given a poor review. Since the incident I have complied with all their requests. The date has come and gone and now HR wants to extend their ultimatum another 2 months although my direct manager wants to close the incident because he feels I have improved enough to close out the incident and move on.

This is becoming harassment to me. No matter what I do they will not let it go. It seems like someone is out to get me.

What are my rights in this case?

I feel like my only choice is to resign or they are going to fire me. Can they fire me for doing my job?
**A: yes, and if they do you will not be the first or the last employee to get fired for doing their job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based on the facts you have provided, this is not illegal harassment; nor would firing you fall under the legal definition of a wrongful termination.

P

peter876

Today I found out that my manager has been lying to me all along. He is telling me one thing while in the background he is doing another thing with HR. He' s telling me that the extension in coming from HR when it is really coming from him. They are also making up deadlines and saying thing were discussed that were never discussed.

What would be illegal harassment?
What woud be a legal definition for wrongful termination?

Beth3

"What would be illegal harassment?" No.

"What woud be a legal definition for wrongful termination?"

That covers a lot of territory but the primary examples would be:

1. Being terminated because of your race, age, religion, national origin, gender, handicap, pregnancy, etc.
2. Being terminated for bringing a WC claim.
3. Being terminated for taking FMLA leave.
4. Being terminated because you were called for jury duty.
5. Being terminated for making a good faith complaint to a government agency. Ex: OSHA, DOL, EEOC, EPA, etc.

Get the idea? The boss being a jerk or lying to you does not constitute illegal harassment. For a termination to be wrongful, the employer must engage in an action specifically prohibited by law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">