• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassed by Payroll Controller and Working for Free

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

johnsde1

I work as a Project Mgr (Consultant) at a large telecommunications company in the Bay Area.(California). I got the job through a HeadHunter/Consulting Group with its headquarters located on the east coast (Missouri.)

My problems all started with checks drafted on the east coast and a merger of two banks.

Every pay period, either my check was refused at the bank or it was eventually paid after about an hour of negotiation. In any event it was a huge problem to get paid every two weeks.

I called my Payroll Controller on the east coast and advised the problem but was brushed off and told that the problem was at my bank. I could not make the Payroll Controller believe that I was having the problem at every and any bank (B of A).

It was investigated by myself, a bank manager and the bank business office and discovered that all checks being issued from this office was missing some routing information. When I called back to the Payroll Controller on the east coast, i was told again that it was my problem only. Which is definitely not the case.

After discovering that i was not going to be assisted, I asked for a manager or supervisor. I was promptly hung up on. When I called back the payroll controller would not come to the phone. There was no yelling, cursing. I just wanted to resolve the problem.

I then called the vice president of the this consulting company and explained all. I immediately recieved a call back from the Payroll Controller who finally listened to the information, said that the problem had been in fact identified and said the problem would be fixed. Meaning i would have no problems cashing my next check.

Then the problems started. First i did not get my pay check. After waiting 2 days, i was told that the holiday delayed the mailings and my check was actually mailed on my pay date. Per the employee handbook of this company, it should have been mailed prior to any holiday or weekend.

I then sent a email with the excerpt from the Consulting Companies employee handbook and demanded they Over-Night my check to me.

I was pretty impressed when i got the check by end of business day but the Payroll Controller got the last laugh when she post dated the check for cashing approx. 5 days later.

This happened on a friday and with the time difference between the east and west coast, all personnel at the Consulting Co. had gone for the weekend.

I know this was intentional. Did I mention that the CEO and VP of this Consulting company are family related to the Payroll Controller? This information was not known at the mass mailing that I sent earlier.

Now I can get no one to respond....

The Client has extended my employment for 18 months and does not want me to quit and has threatened to remove this Consulting Company from the Preferred Vendors List. I cannot select another Consulting Co. and remain with the Client due to legal stipulation by the Consulting Company and the Client is not able to hire another body in my place due to hiring freeze. Any ideas how i can stop the harrasment and get paid on time? Is there any legal recourse? Please advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">