• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassing comments about me in emails between supervisors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nicole05

undefinedtimes new romanWhat is the name of your state? Tennessee

I was sitting at another person's desk to writing a message to leave them when an email popped up on their computer and my name was in the subject blank. I have been working in a very hostile environment for some time now and have been aware for a long time that I am frequently discussed in disparate terms among my supervisors (stuff gets around). I clicked on the email and discovered that my supervisors were joking about whether I am on drugs and why the heck am I so upset and that maybe I had an affair with my boss and was spurned and that's the reason for my negativity. Can I EVER use this in a case against the company?

seniorjudge

nicole05 said:

I was sitting at another person's desk to writing a message to leave them when an email popped up on their computer and my name was in the subject blank. I have been working in a very hostile environment for some time now and have been aware for a long time that I am frequently discussed in disparate terms among my supervisors (stuff gets around). I clicked on the email and discovered that my supervisors were joking about whether I am on drugs and why the heck am I so upset and that maybe I had an affair with my boss and was spurned and that's the reason for my negativity. Can I EVER use this in a case against the company?
If you are asking if you can use info you pirated off another person's computer, my guess would be NO.

nicole05 said:

Reading other people's emails? You're well on your way to getting yourself fired.

mycarlb

nicole05 said:

Company email is privilaged and private... if you were to EVER use it in any way shape or form you could find yourself in much trouble... perhaps (and I know you will not like this) you should take hard reflection on things being said in that private email... if you have been uptight, nasty, etc and everybody is talking about it then you need to either change jobs or correct your attitude.

Ever try talking to person/persons who you are having the problem with??

Beth3

nicole05 said:

What they are doing is inappropriate but it does not fall into the category of prohibited harassment. You have good reason to complain to HR or senior management though. I can't guarantee that there won't be repercussions for reading someone else's email however - you had no business doing that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">