• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassment and intimidation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LeliaE

I am in San Francisco, CA and I recently stopped working for a small coorporation in which the owner was also my landlord. ( Bad Situation). During the last 3 months of my almost 2 year employment with this coorporation I rented an apartment from the owner on a verbal agreement. We had agreed to 6 months initial free rent with no deposit then $600.00 per month after that, since I was to become the apartment manager upon moving in. The day that I moved in completely he decided to change his mind and wanted me to pay $1100.00 per month woth a $1000.00 deposit. Since I was not prepaired we agreed I could make payments as I could. I was kinda stuck since I had already moved all my things and given uup my lease at my previous apartment. I got paid weekley and would make payments the best I could then he became intolerable both at work and at home. He would call me in his office the day before each payday and start talking down to me to the point that I would start getting emotional and crying. On every payday he would hand me my paycheck and make me go to the bank immediatly on the way to the bank he would say things like "So how much of your paycheck am I getting this week" in a really cruel way. This continued until I could not take it any more and walked out on a payday on March 22, 2005. I should also mention that during this time I was asked to work alot of overtime hours that he refuses to pay me for ( About 1500 hours spanning over about 4 months. I was also denied lunch breaks on days where I would put in over 11 to 12 hours, and I also had 2 weeks paid vacation coming to me that I was told I would have to wait to because we were shorthanded, He has also refused to pay me for my last 2 days worked. On top of the work harrassment he would show up at my apartment late at night to discuss the rent try to intimidate me. He has since evicted me the day after I quit and has retailated against me on a daily basis. I am now told that he sold the company. I am wondering I I have a case against him for harrassment. I have already begun to file a complaint with the Labor board. I am also wondering if I will be able to recover my overtime , vacation and my last 2 days worked wages. Do you have any legal advise for me, so far all I've done is document what has happened and contact the labor board.
Thank you for your time,

Sincerely Lelia E

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You will be able to recover your last 2 days wages; any earned but unused vacation and, assuming you were non-exempt, unpaid overtime. (If you were an exempt employee, which is possible if you were an apartment manager, he is not required by law to pay you overtime at all no matter how many hours you worked.)

What you describe, however, does not give you a case for harassment under the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">