• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hasn't Been Notified of Firing VFW

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scotter1955

What is the name of your state? Iowa
My wife was temporary suspended for not being able to get bonded at the VFW after working there for 2 years. I found her bonding and was able to cover the amount needed in order to keep her employment. She was then told that wasn't the only reason why she was suspended but she couldn't get any explanations on the reasons. She went down to the Un-Employment Office to apply for benefits since the VFW stopped paying her. They called the VFW and they refused the benefits saying she was fired. She still hasn't received any explanations on why this has come about. Can we do anything to get her unemployment or back wages never paid?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I believe you have posted about this before. The answers have not changed.

1.) Nothing in the law requires that they provide her with any reason for the termination. They don't have to give it to her in writing; they don't have to tell her verbally; they don't have to tell her, period.

2.) She is free to appeal the unemployment ruling - she will have received notice of how to do this along with the denial. Hopefully the window in which she can do this has not closed. If it has, she's out of luck.

3.) Under the law, they only owe her wages for time WORKED. They do NOT, legally, owe her back wages for the time she was suspended unless she has a BINDING, ENFORCEABLE contract that says they do. If she did not get paid for time WORKED she can file a complaint with the state DOL. However, unless she can produce some sort of evidence that she was CONTRACTED to receive pay while she was suspended, she has no claim for that.

These answers are not going to change no matter how many times you post the questions. You are free to take the issue up with a local attorney in case there are details you have not mentioned that might make a difference; however, on the information you have posted these are the correct answers whether you like them or not.

Scotter1955

VFW Issue

IOWA- Thanks cbj The Iowa Department of Labor is having a Field Day on this situation. They are going full speed ahead on helping us out. They don't like the idea of folks works 16- 20 hour days without breaks and paying people under the table.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">