• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have I been discriminated against?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

misty1644

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My contract was not renewed. I was told of this in December but was told I could continue to work until the end of my contract (June 30). However, I was told to go home in early May and not come back. I was paid through June 30, but not paid for accumulated vacation time for May and June.

I have become excessively obese over the past 1-2 years and have developed some health problems. This weight gain began after I had an injury at work and was not able to get much physical activity. I later had another injury at work and am still being treated by the work comp physician.

I missed work several times for doctor appointments, but I always got my assignments completed even if it meant working many hours of overtime, which I did not get paid for because I was a salaried employee.

Am I an exempt employee? I don't supervise anyone, I am told what my job projects are and how the results are to be produced, I make under $40,000 annually.

I was never notified of FMLA rights.

I am 58 years old.

Is this age discrimination, termination due to excessive work comp and/or health insurance costs, disability discrimination or anything else?

pattytx

We have no way of knowing whether you qualify as an exempt employee or not, because you didn't tell us what you do. You don't have to manage employees to be exempt.

You say you were told to go home. What type of medical treatment were you receiving? Did your employer know anything about your medical issues? How much time did you miss while you were working? We don't know nearly enough about your medical situation to determine whether this was an FMLA-qualifying condition. Did your employer? Did you file for disability? How much were you absent?

Age discrimination? Why do you think so?

And relative to vacation pay out, it appears that Missouri is silent on this issue. You can contact the state Dept. of Labor to inquire.

You gave us a lot of information, but not the information we need to advise you further.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The state of Missouri does not require the pay out of accumulated vacation time.

Failure to renew your contract is not discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">