• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He deducted charges from MY bill to HIM!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Serious

We recently did some handyman work for a local businessman. The contract was a verbal one - but thought the guy was trustworthy. After several days work, boss changes agreement to have other local guys work with us. We said "No Way" so it was agreed we would complete that section & let the other guys do the rest. Boss gave excuse of loan not gone thru yet for not paying for work done. It was never mentioned that payment would be contingent upon loan. It's been 5 weeks and now he gave us a check - less 30% of our bill! Claims not happy with the work. At time bill was submitted to him, he said there was no problem with it. First, we gave him a great deal on the charges, then he changes the verbal contract to bring in these other guys so job would be done sooner (they screwed him - it wasn't & they cost him a whole lot more in labor than us) & now he does this. What is our next move? Small claims court? We haven't cashed his check. If we go this route, can we add interest and punative damages? We live in Minnesota.

[This message has been edited by Serious (edited October 24, 2000).]

Thanks so much for answering - I appreciate it. We tried talking to the guy today - he laughed and sweated and stuttered a lot, but I don't know if we got anywhere with him. I gave him my work number and offered to listen if he changed his mind by tomorrow noon. Looks like your advice to go to small claims court will be heeded. Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by Serious (edited October 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Serious (edited October 25, 2000).]

ALawyer

File a mechanics lien. Just tell him you will tell everyone you meet that he tried to stiff you unless he pays in full.
Then sue him in small claims court. And there is no basis for punitive damages. If he offers you most of the money in cash or cerified check, forget interest.
------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

[This message has been edited by ALawyer (edited October 24, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">