• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Headhunter Referrals

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Icre84u

Consulting Engineering Firm in California, actively looking to hire many more technical employees. Advertising in local papers, internet job postings, etc.

Receiving many unsolicited resumes from job shops/head hunters. Concern is over claims of "first notice" from unknown job shops, and subsequent entitlement to headhunter fees (fees can run to 30%+ of 1-year salary) and how to protect. Problem aggravated by employee prospects simultaneously posting their resumes with several job shops, in addition to sending resumes direct to multiple persons within company hoping to land a job. An unexpected "catfight" breaks out when we hire new employee that (we thought) was exclusive to us (via direct resume submittal) or known job shop (also via direct resume submittal, from job shop).

Flip side, an unknown job shop might be representing the candidate we need and we are willing to pay fees.

Some courts seem to side with Job Shops, after posting newspaper ad and upon recipt of "unsolicited" resume from headhunter the resume is considered "solicited" (due to advertisement) (correct me if I am wrong.)

Can firm limit exposure by printing in ad responses limited to "principals only?"

Can firm limit exposure by implementing aggressive "first received" policy for incoming resumes (e-mail, mail, fax) that applies time stamp to every resume received?

Can firm limit exposure by aggressively sending "refusal to recognize agency agreement" letters to all job shops sending "unsolicited" faxes and state that no contracts will be recognized unless prior agreement is made in writing for a specific period of time for specific prospects?

Appreciate your comments or experience on this!

L

loku

This is an ongoing problem and could cost you thousands of dollars if you don’t handle it right. Furthermore, there is no completely clear rule on this. I suggest you hire an employment attorney to advise you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">