• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health benefits after firing in MI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

buddy2bear

You did not say what State you were in. However, COBRA was a "nice" idea IF you have the money to pay each month in advance -- family coverage is as high as $800 or more a month -- which if you have no job, you certainly have no money. All COBRA does is tell the employer that it must offer you continuation of your insurance for 18 months provided you have paid them by the 1st of each month. As for notice, I think they have 30 days to send it.

In any event, you should check out your State to see if they offer Children health insurance coverage. Some States have a program which will cover your children free of charge. If they are school age, call the guidance counselor and ask. If not, call your State's social services. It doesn't hurt to ask. Also check with unemployment when you husband signs up.

G

graciesmommie

My husband was fired Nov 10 and we were informed on Nov 15 we no longer had any health benefits starting that day. They based this on his last paycheck. We have received no information on COBRA and it was my understanding that a company had to cover you until two weeks after you received a COBRA notice. Is what this company did legal? Should we still be covered? Any info would be greatly appreciated as I have two toddlers who seem to always need to go to the DR.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">