• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Coverage Responsibilities of My Employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Matrix

I live in Northern Ca. and I went on disabily last year caused by the conduct of my employer. I recently settled a civil lawsuit out of court, and part of the terms included me leaving the company, and continuing health coverage by way of Cobra. I was just informed in the mail of my share of cost for continuing coverage under Cobra. In the letter it also stated my Insurance was terminated over a month ago. As you could imagine I was very disturbed by this. I was under the impression your employer was obligated to inform employees 30 days prior to cancelation, so the employee can take appropriate action. Do you know if the employer is required to notify the employee of this action and what are the legal responsibilities of the employer in this situation? I have recently submited bills to my carrier and I am worried they will not honor them now because my employer neglected to inform me of the possible lapse in coverage. How should I go about solving this matter? Thank-You.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">