• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health insurance paid by company without my knowledge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mactac13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I was laid off December 19th, (I was told three weeks, possibly more). There was a note on our time clock stating that if you wanted to keep your insurance, payments were to be made to the HR dept. Knowing I could not afford to do this ($157.47) per week, I did not pay anything figuring my insurance would be terminated for non-payment. I was called back to work temporarily from March 10th through March 20th. On March 19th, my supervisor came into my office with a piece of paper saying that the company had paid for my insurance for the whole month of January and that I owed the company around $754 and that the company would take the full amount out of the two weeks they brought me back to work. I find this so immoral and wrong to do this when I have been a major part of the company for the last two years. Can they do this to me?

Beth3

No. If you didn't inform HR that you wanted to continue your heatlh insurance, then it's their fault if they forgot to cancel your benefits at the end of December. Tell your supervisor (nicely) that you did not request continuation of your benefits as you could not afford it then and can't afford it now. If you have an HR person or office administrator who handles employee benefits, you should speak with him or her as well. It wouldn't be a bad idea to follow up with a letter to them (keep a copy) stating you did not request that your benefits be continued and that you are not authorizing any pay deductions for the January premium.

If they do take the deduction from your paycheck without your authorization, then contact your State's Department of Labor and file a complaint right away.

mactac13

Thank you Beth!

I appreciate the fast response and the advice given. Yes they have already taken part of the payment out of my first check and the remainder they say will be taken out of this week's. I am just sickened by how companies treat their employees when we try to do our best in trying to make the company succeed and prosper. I will be contacting the labor board here shortly. Thank you again!

Beth3

You're very welcome.

Contact your HR/benefits person and protest the deduction and the other deduction they're planning on making. Tell them you did not request continuation and did not authorize these deductions. You should also advise them that if the first deduction is not refunded and the other deduction is made, you will have no option but to file a complaint with the Department of Labor.

You can and should be pleasant with whomever you speak with at your company. (1) There's no need to be unpleasant about it, and (2) you don't want to sour your relationship with your employer.

If they refuse, then by all means contact your State's Department of Labor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">