• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

healthcare/background checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jessedmatthews

What is the name of your state? PA

I have a bachelor's in psychology and am nearly finished with my master's degree. I worked in the mental health field for a year after college. While I was in college, I got into a little bit of trouble...I got involved in a fight after a party, in an attempt to break it up and save a friend of mine from getting beat up. I ended up getting charged with aggravated assault, even though I didn't even touch the kid who got hurt, but was named as being involved. Well I later plead guilty to simple assault (misdemeanor) and reckless endangerment (misdemeanor) and was given 1 year of probation, which I completed successfully. SO, now I am trying to get back into my field and I want to know if my conviction for these 2 misdemeanors is going to prevent me from getting a job (i.e. is there a law that says they cannot hire me)? To my knowledge, I couldn't get hired if I had a felony on my record, but I don't. The aggravated assault was expunged (I have proof) due to the lesser charges. PLEASE HELP!!

Beth3

Do you have a professor, a college career counselor, or mentor at school you can put this question to? Whether these convictions will prove to be a hindrance in pursuing a job in your chosen field is extremely specific to your field. Just general info about employment and conviction records isn't going to be of very much help to you.

J

jessedmatthews

I actually don't know of anyone like that. I guess what I want to know is, is there a LAW that bars employers in healthcare from hiring people with a misdemeanor conviction (the 2 that I mentioned, specifically)- am I wasting my time by pursuing this field and going on job interviews? Or is it up to the employer in my case to hire me or not? Do you know of anywhere I can go for that information? or where I can find a career counselor?

Beth3

You really need to speak to a professional in your chosen field. Surely there must be a professor or someone at school in the psychology department who can assist you. Among the things I don't know, and I doubt any of the regular responders here do either, is whether the particular career field you are pursuing (and there are thousands of different career choices in health care), requires licensing and what those particular requirements are.

I appreciate that you are in urgent need of an answer but I don't think this is the place that can help you. What about your thesis advisor?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">