• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hearing Next Week/Please Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EEMVT

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I moved to Pennylvania from Virginia in March of 2001. I was working in VA till then and then began a job in PA and was laid off in January of 2002. I called unemployment in Pennsylvania and they asked that I send them pay stubs from my job in PA and VA and they could tell me what I could qualify for. I did.

I collected unemployment for 2 and half months before I found another job. In October of last year, I received a letter from PA Unemployment stating that I had collected illegally and needed to pay them back the amount given (approx. $4,000).

I called them and was told that the reason that I was sent that was because it seemed that I had collected from both PA and VA, which was NOT the case. An PA unemployment officer even said that I had not collected from VA but to go ahead and send in the appeal stating that. I did.

In addition, I called VA unemployment and requested that they fax me over a letter stating that I had not collected from them. Their reponse was that PA had the same database and therefore could see that I had not.

At any rate, my hearing for my appeal is set for next week and I have no shred of documentation to support my findings.

What can I do??? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Beth3

I don't know that there's anything you can do. The PA UC Division has requested the hearing so the burden of proof is on them to demonstrate that you collected benefits illegally/incorrectly. You don't have to prove your "innocence," they have to prove benefits were incorrectly or fraudulently paid. Since you don't have access to the States' UC databases, I don't see what documentation you would be able to bring to hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">