• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heatlth Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Eddie1

I was laid off on Nov. 10, 2000 I have 25 years with this company. I feel I was laid off due to health reasons. There are 2 people that are in my dept. that are classified as I myself who are younger and only been with the company about 2-3 years. I have had heart problems in the past and just recently got out of the hospital on Oct.27 from having a heart cath. and returned to work. I forgot to get a doctor return to work order.and was not asked by my supervior before being laid off. Is this legal? Our company policy is if you miss 3 days of work you need an excuse. I have always had excellent review. I feel this is age and health discrimination. Can you help? I am also a vet. and the other two people are not.

B

buddy2bear

You said you were "laid off." Is this a permanent layoff or will you be called back when business picks up?

Unless you are unionized, seniority doesn't count for much of anything except sometimes enhanced benefits. An employer does not have to lay off based on seniority when there is no union contract -- first in, first out, does not apply.

If this is not a permanent layoff, then perhaps they were doing you a favor and giving you additional time to recover and letting you collect unemployment compensation while you do so.

E

Eddie1

Layoff

From the past experinces at this company it will be permanet.In the past it has always been by seniority put now we have new mamagement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">