• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1diamond

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I have been out on disability for medical issues. My companies insurance company rejected the last month of my disability claim. They needed more information from my doctor, which my doctor submitted. The insurance company still rejected the claim. The very next day after receiving a letter from the insurance company, my job sent me a letter telling me I would be terminated if I did not return to work the next business day. I went to my doctor and still was not released to return to work, and submitted information to them from my doctor. I was terminated. I did not think a person could be fired while on disability. Would I have any type of recourse? Would I be able to get unemployment benefits? I keep hearing that I will not be able to draw unemployment because my doctor still has not released me to work yet.

Beth3

I did not think a person could be fired while on disability. For some reason, a lot of people think that's the case but that is not true.

Would I have any type of recourse? That depends on how long you were on leave and whether you and the company are subject to the particulars of the Family and Medical Leave Act. If you were provided at least 12 weeks of medical leave, then your termination was lawful.

Would I be able to get unemployment benefits? I keep hearing that I will not be able to draw unemployment because my doctor still has not released me to work yet. On this occasion you heard right. One of the minimum requirements to be eligible for unemployment benefits is that the claimant be physically capable of working.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">