• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

azzlynn27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was terminated by my employer due to a false accusation of a HIPAA violation. I fought this in an in-house appeal and the termination was upheld. The person who accused me is an ex-step-sister and she came forward after my appeal and admitted that she falsely accused me of this and that she did it deliberatly she knew exactly what to say since she works in the same field I do. There was never any solid proof that I did anything wrong. It stated in my termination that I was terminated for breach of confidentiality for calling and giving my condolences to the ex-step-sister, calling home to check on things, and supposedly discussing the patient with other employees. This information is not true. Do I have a case against my ex-employer or the person who falsely accused me of this violation? If so what should I do?

pattytx

You do not have a claim against the company. The employer was within its rights to terminate your employment, even if they were mistaken about the reason they did so. Google "at will employment".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">