• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Employee & Wage Garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PaperPusher

What is the name of your state? CA

I have a wage withholding order on an employee. I read in one of these posts that it should come with a copy of the judgement. My employee says that there is no judgement. Do I w/h his wages without proof of the judgement? We don't want to do anything wrong.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PaperPusher said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I have a wage withholding order on an employee. I read in one of these posts that it should come with a copy of the judgement. My employee says that there is no judgement. Do I w/h his wages without proof of the judgement? We don't want to do anything wrong.

My response:

You said, "I have a wage withholding order . . ."

One of those words in that statement is the "magic word". Can you guess which one?

IAAL

Beth3

Let's guess it's "order."

Paperpusher, the way this usually works is if you (the employer) fail to make the deduction ordered by the court, the employer then becomes responsible for payment. If you have a court order, you need to follow it. If you still have questions, then call the clerk of courts whose office issued the garnishment.

P

PaperPusher

When I said "I" it meant that I have it, in my possession in the
HR/payroll dept. Sorry to confuse you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">