• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help I dont know where to turn!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IGAGirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
I have worked for the same company for 4 1/2 years. I begin my employment working in one location. While there I received many, many awards for performance and was promoted once. I decided due to personal reasons to transfer to another location. After I was there I soon regreted my decsion. In the new enviroment I discovered I was very much the minority. More than 3/4 of the work place. I was passed over for at least 3 promotions and never once recievced an award, while keeping the same stats I had at the prior location. I also felt very uncomfortable in the work enviroment. As an April Fools joke they packed up my things and placed them in a box on my desk as if I was fired. I continued to make my stats in fact in my last 6 month as a employee I was the ONLY person in my department making stats. I do believe discrimnation may have taken place while I was working there
Any time we were sick or late we were written up, not wanting to receive a write up, 2 weeks ago when I was extremely sick I went into work any, advised my sup of my illness and if they had any time off avaliable I would like to take it. I worked for approx 4 hours and went home without a write up.
The next day I worked for approx 5 hours and was called to HR where my sup advised me I was being suspended for cussing on the floor. I advised my sup and HR I did no such thing. HR stated believed my sup and I was being suspended and they would make a decsion the following day if I still had employment. That day they accused me of this it was only me, my sup and one other sup on the floor.
I went in the next day and was terminated. I refused to sign the write up which now included information from the other sup that was there that I also cussed at a seperate time that while walking to the break room which I knew was impossible because the only time I went to the break room that day I was running and covering my mouth to keep from being sick on the floor.
Nothing like has ever occured before. I have been a very good employee. Constintally, meeting and exceeding stats. I have never cussed at fellow employees, customers or managers. I have never received write ups verbal or written for any type of misconduct.
I have filed for unemployment and I am currently seeking a lawyer. I'm not sure what to do from here.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

pattytx

You have no need for a lawyer at this point, if you're thinking you were wrongfully terminated under the law; you weren't. The company may choose to believe the supervisor over you, and can discharge you for such "actions", even if they were mistaken.

That fact that you have no warnings or other write-ups regarding this particular action will, however, bode well for you should the employer protest your claim for unemployment benefits. Generally speaking, unless the employer can show that they had warned you about not doing X any more, and that continuing to do X could result in your termination, even if you DID X, you would have a better than even chance of getting UI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">