• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help i may loose my job cuz im a smoker!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

turbowray

What is the name of your state?oregon
I started to work for a large corporate hospital that i wont name 8 years ago...they started out closing the indoor smoking area and i fully agreed! They now only have 3 smoking areas i fully agree! We have now been informed that on smoking sessation day 2006 that all smoking areas will be closed and no one can smoke on the property at all...i agree! I am a smoker but a polite one...here is where the problem lies...the hospital is building a new hospital where the private drive is a mile long soooo there is no way for any smoker to go somewhere to smoke in the time alloted for thier breaks or lunch....im smart enough to know that my addiction will not let me go 9 hours without a smoke and all their reply was well we will help you get the patches to quit....im not into a job making me quit a legal habit....if i cant go 9 hours with out a smoke then i will have no choice but to smoke on thier property cuz there is no allternative...if patients do it they will just be told to put it out...if an employee does it we will get written up for not following hospital policies....if i had known this 8 years ago i would have never worked for them but now i am vested and have lots of money to loose if i get fired for being a smoker...not that it matters but i cater there also and we cater alcohol to some of the functions....isnt it unfair for a hospital to say you cant smoke but we can drink even though there is not a o.l.c.c. liscensed person serving and it is done at a drug and alcohol free hospital lol...really im just scared of loosing my job cuz i know enough about my addiction to say they are setting me and others up to getting fired for not "following hospital procedure" can they force you to quit? Can they not allow me to smoke in my car that is parked in a paid for parking spot?? Please let me know anything you can..turbowray

pattytx

It is perfectly legal for an employer to prohibit smoking anywhere on its property. Maybe it depends on whether you want to smoke or eat on your lunch period (and I am a smoker). No car?

You won't be fired for being a smoker. You'll be fired for violating the company policy about smoking on the property. As a hospital, they must have smoking cessation programs, which, as an employee, you could take advantage of for a discount or even free.

Good luck.

abaga

turbowray said:
What is the name of your state?oregon
I started to work for a large corporate hospital that i wont name 8 years ago...they started out closing the indoor smoking area and i fully agreed! They now only have 3 smoking areas i fully agree! We have now been informed that on smoking sessation day 2006 that all smoking areas will be closed and no one can smoke on the property at all...i agree! I am a smoker but a polite one...here is where the problem lies...the hospital is building a new hospital where the private drive is a mile long soooo there is no way for any smoker to go somewhere to smoke in the time alloted for thier breaks or lunch....im smart enough to know that my addiction will not let me go 9 hours without a smoke and all their reply was well we will help you get the patches to quit....im not into a job making me quit a legal habit....if i cant go 9 hours with out a smoke then i will have no choice but to smoke on thier property cuz there is no allternative...if patients do it they will just be told to put it out...if an employee does it we will get written up for not following hospital policies....if i had known this 8 years ago i would have never worked for them but now i am vested and have lots of money to loose if i get fired for being a smoker...not that it matters but i cater there also and we cater alcohol to some of the functions....isnt it unfair for a hospital to say you cant smoke but we can drink even though there is not a o.l.c.c. liscensed person serving and it is done at a drug and alcohol free hospital lol...really im just scared of loosing my job cuz i know enough about my addiction to say they are setting me and others up to getting fired for not "following hospital procedure" can they force you to quit? Can they not allow me to smoke in my car that is parked in a paid for parking spot?? Please let me know anything you can..turbowray
If they have a policy of no smoking on hospital grounds or whereever they have specified, then that is the policy. If you violate it, you could well be looking at being terminated. If you aren't "into a job that will make you quit a legal habit..." then by all means, find a new job.

BTW, no one can make you quit a job, but they can ask you to abide by their policies. It is YOUR choice not to do so, but it is also their choice to terminate you for that.

You are working in a hospital....there are sick people there. Have some respect for them.

Beth3

if i cant go 9 hours with out a smoke then i will have no choice but to smoke on thier property cuz there is no allternative... You have a clear choice - smoke or don't smoke on company property.

really im just scared of loosing my job cuz i know enough about my addiction to say they are setting me and others up to getting fired for not "following hospital procedure" can they force you to quit? They're not forcing you to quit - they're only saying smoking is not allowed on their property.

Can they not allow me to smoke in my car that is parked in a paid for parking spot?? Yes, if your car is parked on their property.

I suggest you try Nicorette gun during working hours.

turbowray

yes

pattytx said:
It is perfectly legal for an employer to prohibit smoking anywhere on its property. Maybe it depends on whether you want to smoke or eat on your lunch period (and I am a smoker). No car?

You won't be fired for being a smoker. You'll be fired for violating the company policy about smoking on the property. As a hospital, they must have smoking cessation programs, which, as an employee, you could take advantage of for a discount or even free.

Good luck.
yes patty i have a car but when i went to smoke in it the security guard said that even though i pay to park there that it is still parked on thier property and they can tell me that i couldnt smoke in it even with all the windows rolled up lol....i could try to quit and one day i will but as all know with a nasty habit you have to be mentally ready or youll fail and im just not ready yet lol...ty for your reponse and expertise!!

turbowray

abaga said:
If they have a policy of no smoking on hospital grounds or whereever they have specified, then that is the policy. If you violate it, you could well be looking at being terminated. If you aren't "into a job that will make you quit a legal habit..." then by all means, find a new job.

BTW, no one can make you quit a job, but they can ask you to abide by their policies. It is YOUR choice not to do so, but it is also their choice to terminate you for that.

You are working in a hospital....there are sick people there. Have some respect for them.
oh honey i always have respected them that is why in my starting statement that i was a smoker but a polite one...i go across the street from the hospital now and i dont mind that i am just worried that when i have to walk a mile and i know i cant do that,that i may loose my job...i am happy with my job but that doesnt mean that i am ready or able to quit smoking....please dont get me wrong i have tried to quit and it didnt work....it is very very addicting....ty for your input!!

turbowray

ty beth

Beth3 said:
if i cant go 9 hours with out a smoke then i will have no choice but to smoke on thier property cuz there is no allternative... You have a clear choice - smoke or don't smoke on company property.

really im just scared of loosing my job cuz i know enough about my addiction to say they are setting me and others up to getting fired for not "following hospital procedure" can they force you to quit? They're not forcing you to quit - they're only saying smoking is not allowed on their property.

Can they not allow me to smoke in my car that is parked in a paid for parking spot?? Yes, if your car is parked on their property.

I suggest you try Nicorette gun during working hours.
ty for your input beth i hope i can quit when it comes down to it....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">