• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help on Illinois Termination Without Cause (visa status might be issue)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

illinoiswronged

Hi,

My wife was terminated from her job with absolutely no explanation. We live in Illinois. She started her job 4 weeks ago and everything seemed to be going great. She got along with everyone and was told she was doing a great job. She was invited to the christmas party and upcoming outings. Then, from out of nowhere, she was fired with no explanation other than "it's not working out". Do we have any case against this company? It's a small privately owned company with only 5 employees. My wife is in a bad spot because she turned down other offers to take this job and now she can't go back to the original ones. We can't get any explanation for her dismissal but she did notice that the employer showed a lot of discomfort with her work visa status. She is a conditional permanent resident and is married to a U.S. citizen (me) so there should be no concerns for an employer there.
Any advice would be appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

illinoiswronged said:
Hi,

My wife was terminated from her job with absolutely no explanation.
Which is not illegal
We live in Illinois.
O.K.
She started her job 4 weeks ago and everything seemed to be going great. She got along with everyone and was told she was doing a great job. She was invited to the christmas party and upcoming outings. Then, from out of nowhere, she was fired with no explanation other than "it's not working out".
And as I said, not illegal.
Do we have any case against this company?
Of course you do. You can sue them for not inviting you to the New Year's party.
It's a small privately owned company with only 5 employees.
And this is relevant how?
My wife is in a bad spot because she turned down other offers to take this job and now she can't go back to the original ones.
That's a personal problem, not a legal one.
We can't get any explanation for her dismissal but she did notice that the employer showed a lot of discomfort with her work visa status. She is a conditional permanent resident and is married to a U.S. citizen (me) so there should be no concerns for an employer there.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Tell her to start looking for a new job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The bottom line is that nothing in your post gives her any legal recourse, and YOU have no standing at all.

Illinois is an at will state. In the absence of a contract to the contrary, either party can end the employment relationship at any time. They have no legal obligation to give her a reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">