• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help my office is bugged!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

privacyinvaded

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My coworker and I just discovered a microphone in a hallway that connects our offices (nobody else uses the hallway). We had suspected that our conversations were being recorded/ listened to by our boss because everytime we had a meeting with him, he would bring up things my coworker and I discussed in the privacy of our offices. I thought we were paranoid until I saw the microphone myself.

The company we work for is a private corporation with less than 50 employees. Although, our boss has numerous "companies" under one roof organized as different corporations and employs over 150 people. I think this is done to get around the Family and Medical Leave Act.

My questions:

What should we do?

Is monitoring employees conversations without their knowledge or consent legal?

Can we be fired for what we say in the "privacy" of our offices?

What legal avenues can we pursue while we work there?

P

privacyinvaded

Thanks. Anyone with additonal information, please post. We are concerned about our rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">