• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with NYS Unemployment benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drew251

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Was laid off from my job on 12/30/2009 I started collecting U I benefits in Jan. 2010. My position had been filled by the owners son in law. I just recieved a letter from the Dept. of Labor saying the company that laid me off had said I quit because I did not return to work on March 1st 2010. I never recieved a call or letter offering my job back, they do not want me back, this is a way to stop paying my U I benefits. I filled out the questionair from Dept of Labor and am waiting to hear back,in the meantime my benefits are on hold.I dont think the company has a leg to stand on by never contacting me to come back. Thanks for any advice

swalsh411

There will be a hearing where they will need to show evidence that they offered you the job back. Your position should be that you were laid off, to your knowledge the position was filled by somebody else, and you never received any communication that there was work available. If they cannot show this evidence then you should be deemed eligible again. In the meantime continue certifying each week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">