• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help wanted ads don't have to be "neutral" anymore?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Betty

What is the name of your state?

Also, do you want to be a little more specific as to exactly what your question/concern is?

Thanks.

That's odd. I wrote much more than just the header.

MD is my state and the long and short is that when I sold employment classifieds about 15 years ago, they hounded us about being "neutral" regarding gender, age, recent college grad, etc. I am now looking for work and I see tons of postings for jobs for which I am otherwise qualified that go against that thinking. Have the rules changed? If they haven't, out of curiosity, wouldn't I have reason to contest this that advertise in this manner? Thx

racer72

MD is my state and the long and short is that when I sold employment classifieds about 15 years ago, they hounded us about being "neutral" regarding gender, age, recent college grad, etc. I am now looking for work and I see tons of postings for jobs for which I am otherwise qualified that go against that thinking. Have the rules changed? If they haven't, out of curiosity, wouldn't I have reason to contest this that advertise in this manner? Thx
Who is "they"?

Beth3

Are you saying you're seeing employment ads stating "no one over 40 or who is female need apply"? That seems rather unlikely. There is nothing illegal about stating a position requires a college degree and/or 10+ years of experience if that is what the job requires.

Same goes for stating they are seeking a recent college grad. Anyone at any age, any gender, and any race can obtain a B.A. or B.S. "Recent college grad" is code for (a) the job doesn't require much experience and (b) it probably doesn't pay that much.

justalayman

there can be valid reasons to advertise for a gender specific applicant. Educational background has always been acceptable. Age, although very touchy, can be a valid requirement.

wouldn't I have reason to contest this that advertise in this manner?
????

if their ads are legal, then you have no reason to do anything. If they are illegal, then there are actions that can be taken. It won't help you get that job but they can be held accountable for an illegal advertisement.

Please look up BFOQ's. Bona-fide occupational qualifications are a way for employers to discriminate without doing so illegally. Anything specifically discriminating on age, gender, race, or religion is illegal. All other discrimination is not and it's a way for employers to seek out people who have the occupational qualifications they are looking for.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Employment advertising now is much different than it was 15 years ago...if was illegal back then, it is likely illegal now.

The difference is that there isn't anybody to "pre-screen" every single internet ad that pops up.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Typo fixed :) Makes a big difference in the way your message could be interpreted.
No, I meant exactly what I said. Now, you log on to Craigslist and post an ad. 15 years ago, you called somebody at the local paper and they would "pre-screen" your ad which would help you avoid an illegal advertisement.

No, I meant exactly what I said. Now, you log on to Craigslist and post an ad. 15 years ago, you called somebody at the local paper and they would "pre-screen" your ad which would help you avoid an illegal advertisement.
Ah I see what you're saying. Your two thoughts in that sentence didn't seem to go together. You're right about Craigslist but anybody can report a post that doesn't follow Craigslist's guidelines. How long or whether they take any action to delete it is another story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">