• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help on what to put on application after being fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ronss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? az

i am a certified nursing assisstant, and got fired only after 2 months on the job...i worked in a vent unit mostly, with a few residents that were not with vents...the one got me fired....

okay. the room this guy in, he had a roomate..i took care of his roomate, and not him,.....he was assigned to another cna....the last 4 days, he had allways asked me to help, and i stated that the other cna was his helper, because i was overworked and felt i cound not handle much more...this was probably wrong...and got him mad....then one day the guy i was taking care of needed to be taken care of frequently, and i was asking him if the nurse gave him milk off mag....to make ya go....i asked him this every time i came in the room that day...it must have been 10 times....anyhow..his roomate did not like that i was askiing him this all the time...and it was probably not the proper thing for me to be saying**************anyhow..he went to the adminstrator and said i had no respect for this patient....came to work the next day,,and was fired...reason- no respect for resident..i told them that was not true...anyhow .....they believe the resisdent....they pay the bills...i quess i made some bad judgements on how to act while working there...live and learn....been doing this for 15 yrs...

anyhow..question**************when i fill out an aplication...the ask why you were discharged...i have a hard time putting down the reason...i have been putting down, resident got me fired, and reason was not true....is that the proper thing to put down where it won,t hurt my chances for another job...or can i put down something more appropiate....thanks ron

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Tell the truth. Do not blame others.

If you are in line for the job after your interview, your employer is going to check your references. It is a myth that past employers cannot say anything negative about you; no law prohibits them from telling the truth, even if the truth is negative. If what you say and what the employer says do not match, your chance of getting the job just went way, way down.

Many employers will forgive a single mistake, especially if you indicate that you have learned from it. Few if any will forgive being lied to. An inability to take responsibility for your actions, is just as bad.

ronss

Tell the truth. Do not blame others.

If you are in line for the job after your interview, your employer is going to check your references. It is a myth that past employers cannot say anything negative about you; no law prohibits them from telling the truth, even if the truth is negative. If what you say and what the employer says do not match, your chance of getting the job just went way, way down.

Many employers will forgive a single mistake, especially if you indicate that you have learned from it. Few if any will forgive being lied to. An inability to take responsibility for your actions, is just as bad.

thanks for the help...the thing about this..i believe the resident had it in for me, and was went out of his way to get me fired..seemed like someone could have talked to me about what happen there,,,but the place would rather just fire people ...i seemed like i was being watched since day 1 there....ron

Hot Topic

No one is required to "take care" of you and make sure you fit in, are praised by fellow workers or that the level of your work is consistantly applauded. And people who think others are out to get them often suffer from a case of self-importance.

ronss

No one is required to "take care" of you and make sure you fit in, are praised by fellow workers or that the level of your work is consistantly applauded. And people who think others are out to get them often suffer from a case of self-importance.

i had worked in nursing homes for years, and this was a very different type enviroment...i should have adjusted my behavior accordingly,,but i got very busy, and was not thinking ...if i would have just been a bit aware of what i was saying, i would still be working there...what a price to pay for a slip of the mouth...:(

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
i had worked in nursing homes for years, and this was a very different type enviroment...i should have adjusted my behavior accordingly,,but i got very busy, and was not thinking ...if i would have just been a bit aware of what i was saying, i would still be working there...what a price to pay for a slip of the mouth...:(
Now THAT is a MUCH better response than, "Someone was trying to get me fired".

ronss

so when i fill out application...what should i put down for reason leaving...resisdent filed complaint that was not entirely true.....is that what i should put down....the placed fired me for lack of respect, i told them that was not true

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You absolutely should NOT put down ANYTHING that suggests that the resident was at fault.

You don't need to give a whole song and dance on the application form. "Terminated - will discuss at interview" will serve when you are filling out paperwork.

Then USE THE RESPONSE YOU PUT JUST ABOVE. You will NOT score any points by trying to deflect responsibility onto the resident. i had worked in nursing homes for years, and this was a very different type enviroment...i should have adjusted my behavior accordingly,,but i got very busy, and was not thinking will get you a lot further than trying to blame someone else, even in part. You want to show that you are able to accept responsibility, not that you're going to hold other people at fault for what happens.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no law requiring any employee to list any job.

However, failure to list a job can be seen as falsification of their application, even if it isn't legally mandated to list it. Falsification of the application is grounds for immediate firing. And it is far, far easier for an employer to find out about jobs that may have been omitted than you might think; sometimes when they are not even looking for the information.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And what I am telling you is that legally, it doesn't matter if she was in her probationary period or not.

The law does not require her to list the job. But the law does not prohibit a prosepctive employer from firing her/refusing to hire her on the basis that she omitted the job, regardless of whether she was in her probationary period or not.

If you disagree, post a link to the law that says as long as she was in the probationary period, she is guaranteed the right of omitting the job with no possible repercussions.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, I didn't ask for a columnist's opinion. I particularly did not ask for your paraphrase of a columnist's opinion. I asked for a LAW. Does that column list a statute number or the name of a case law? Do you understand the difference between a trial period and a probationary period?

I thought not.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are entitled to your opinion. However, given that I also have 30 years in the field, I think you're going to have to allow me to think for myself, instead of relying blinidly on someone else's opinion simply because she styles herself an "expert".

csi7

You do not have to use termination on the application. You can use confidential on the application. You will have to present the information to prospective employer in a manner that proves you learned from your mistake and that you are a top-notch candidate for the position you are interviewing for.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It would appear that the posts to which I was responding have been deleted.

Just to make it clear: the law does not require that you list every job you have ever had. However, you omit a job at your own risk, for the reasons explained above. The fact that you are not legally obligated to list a job does not mean that the employer is barred from taking adverse action against you because of the omission.

ronss

thanks all...its helpful infomation...tough evnviroment today to get a job, even in the healthfield unless you are a RN....lots of folks getting into the field.....later

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">