• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hey Ioku..another final check/ indie or not question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

malickai

Hello..... I'am a twenty seven year old carpenter/framer in New England. I just quit my job working for a guy who has his own company. There was a dispute about me not getting fourty hours of work. I am stupid because this is the second time I've work for him and the second time he has not been able to provide more than thirty or so hours. My question is.... he now wants me to provide me own liability ins. before he gives me my final check. The word "Check" is used loselly, he has never given me anything but cash. Now if I provide the certificate ( of liability ) my taxes will go up and his down....correct? I always used his tools on his jobs but more or less supervised myself and did what I was asked to do. Not an Independant Contractor....? Also if I don't get/ give him the certificate how can he give me a 1099? This is a big gray area. I have gotten 1099's before without liability ins. I just want to get my money and be done with him for good. Any suggestions?????????? malickai

L

loku

The question is whether you are an independent contractor or not. For an discussion on how it affects your taxes to be an independent contractor, go to http://employment-law.freeadvice.com/independent_employee.htm. For a discussion of how to tell if you are one, go to: http://employment-law.freeadvice.com/independent_employee.htm.

Your paying your own liability insurance would be one factor pointing to independent contractor status. And as the above material points out, control of the work is the most important single factor in determining if you are an independent contractor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">