• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hipaa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

march3012

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I graduated from Illinois State University and I recently requested a copy of my transcript. It has the word Illinois School for the Deaf listed under high school. That can be a problem when I apply for jobs, but only if employers ask for transcript and some did. I asked ISU to take it off or use ISD. They said they cannot do that. I think this violates HIPAA as deaf is a medical condition and the transcript has my name. What do you think and what rights do I have to fix this?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I graduated from Illinois State University and I recently requested a copy of my transcript. It has the word Illinois School for the Deaf listed under high school. That can be a problem when I apply for jobs, but only if employers ask for transcript and some did. I asked ISU to take it off or use ISD. They said they cannot do that. I think this violates HIPAA as deaf is a medical condition and the transcript has my name. What do you think and what rights do I have to fix this?
What is the name of the school from which you graduated? Is it Illinois School for the Deaf?
But it is NOT a HIPAA violation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
HIPAA is nowhere near as broad as most people think. The large majority of people and entities are not subject to HIPAA at all. Since this information did not come from a doctor, hospital, medical billing clearing house, health insurance plan or other covered entity, HIPAA does not apply and there is no violation.

march3012

Thank you. I didn't think so, but I know for sure this cost me one potential job. Everything was going great until they got the transcript. I guess I just have to live with this and hope for the best.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you believe that the fact that you are deaf is what caused you to be eliminated as a job candidate, you don't have a HIPAA complaint against the school; you have a potential discrimination claim against the employer. Consult local counsel.

march3012

There is no way to prove that. Thus, the need to remove or change the name to ISD. I am stuck! All I can hope for is good HR, employers who do not request for transcript, or fix the transcript.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
There is no way to prove that. Thus, the need to remove or change the name to ISD. I am stuck! All I can hope for is good HR, employers who do not request for transcript, or fix the transcript.
There is NOTHING wrong with the transcript.

march3012

Yes there is! It has the word deaf in it. Do you know the struggles for people with disabilities have for finding a job? If you do not know the struggles, then do not tell me there is no problem with this.

Thanks to those who answer my question truthfully even though it is not what I want to hear without being a jerk.

No thanks to those who were sarcasm and just plain jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">