• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hired for Full Time, but only given Part Time Hours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itsburnett

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I had a full time job, and left it because I found what seemed like a better opportunity with another company. In my initial interview with this new company, I was told that the job would always be full time, but after five weeks of working there, I have never been given more than 25 hours of work, and the past two weeks have only been 14 hours each. Because of this, I am having trouble keeping up with my expenses. Is there anything I can do about this?

justalayman

You might start with asking the boss why you are not getting more hours when you were told you would be getting more hours when you were hired.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You could also start looking for other employment - maybe a second job?

With such a cut in hours, you might want to check with the unemployment folks as to the possibility of getting partial benefits.

Beth3

Agree with both of the above: (1) ask the boss why you're not working full time when that's what you were hired for, and (2) file for unemployment - you may be eligible for a partial benefit.

commentator

Immediately, file a claim for unemployment benefits. When they ask why you are not working, tell them you are working all the hours they are giving you, that you are available to work full time, and that you were told that the job would be full time when you were hired. This filing will set up a claim and will tell you what your weekly benefit amount will be. You are entitled to unemployment benefits for any Sunday through Saturday (regardless of how or when you are paid) when your gross wage per hour falls below the weekly benefit amount you are entitled to draw. This will give you a partial claim, you'd be able to draw part of the unemployment and the wages you have earned.

This will flush out the employer. If they legitimately do not have enough work to keep you employed at more hours than you could make in unemployment, then you need to be drawing it anyhow while you look for another job or wait for their work to increase. If they are cutting your hours with the intent of getting you to be starved out and forced to quit, then you will need full unemployment benefits. DO NOT quit the job, keep working even if they are only giving you three hours a week. But be sure you have filed that unemployment claim and are claiming each week as they will tell you how to do. I'd also be looking for another job, too, as there is no way you can otherwise FORCE the employer to give you more hours. They can promise you just about anything and it is not binding unless you have a labor contract of some type.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Follow commentators advice. I have a friend that successfully collected on appeal. She collected partial benefits until getting a different job. YMMV

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">