• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hired for one job but placed in another.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MSausville

What is the name of your state? New York State

The basic situation is that I applied for a job on line with a company, but they have placed me in an entirely different position. After applying and interviewing, they indicated to me I should re-apply online. They gave me the name of the position, and it did not match the job I applied for. When I asked about this I was told "It is just to make the numbers work out". I left it at that and applied for the job and was told that I was hired.

When I started I was placed in a position that matched the one I had been told to apply for, not the one I had interviewed for and applied for on my own. My boss at the time told me they wanted me to get exposure to both positions. I accepted this as I was the new guy, and took him at his word.

I attempted to get myself passwords for the position I applied for as I was told I would be doing it after I got used to the other side of the "data center". I was rejected at every turn, my manager told me he would look into it. After a while of no progress I pulled him aside and asked him to level with me, and he basically informed me that this was the job they were going to have me do. That my application more closely matched it, and they had a need for me to work it.

My issue is I left a company I had over five years with, and was offered a position to relocate to Virginia with for an opportunity to stay in New York based on the information I learned about the job I initially applied for. The interview was based on it, and that to me is as much me learning about them as them interviewing me. It was with that knowledge I accepted the opportunity.

Is this something they can just do to people? I mean I made life-altering decisions based on what they said to me and I can not now change my decision I am feeling "stuck" in a job I do not want and never would have accepted.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JETX

MSausville said:
Is this something they can just do to people?
Yep. Pretty much. Unless you have an employment contract or a bargaining agreement specifying a job and responsibilities, your employer can pretty much ask you to do any task that is not illegal.

However, you shouldn't feel as if you are stuck in the job you have. You can leave the job for another, just as they can assign you a different job than the one for which you were hired. It sounds like you needed to start job-hunting again. Is the other position you turned down still available? Maybe that firm has another opening you'd be interested in?

MSausville

I contacted my ex-employer, and sadly they have no openings at this time. I was one of the lucky ones they were going to retain after we were bought by Bank of America.

I will start canvassing the job sites and seeing what is out there, it is a bit frustrating but I imagine it is the only thing that can be done.

Thank you for the advice hopefully I can take something positive out of the experience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">