• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hired then fired 2 months before start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clsg

STATE: Florida
My son was hired a few months ago to work at a boy scout camp this summer. This past week he was sent the paperwork to fill out and send in (as a side note there was a change of person in charge from time of hiring till now). then 4 days later he recieved an email saying thanks for applying, looked over application, not quailified/no positions open (the standard turn down letter) will keep application on file. is this legal? to one day say you are still hired (both verbally and thru email) then this? there is another boy in my sons troop the same thing happened to them, only they didnt get the paperwork to fill out, and both boys have asburgers (autism). I went to the boy scout council to find out what is going on, the person I spoke to is going to speak to a higher up and let me know (the person my son was dealing with is not at that office). From what I was told from the other boys parents, there was some mixup when the new person stepped in and some people got dropped but that is their mistake and not the kids.

Is this legal???

JayChong

STATE: Florida
My son was hired a few months ago to work at a boy scout camp this summer. This past week he was sent the paperwork to fill out and send in (as a side note there was a change of person in charge from time of hiring till now). then 4 days later he recieved an email saying thanks for applying, looked over application, not quailified/no positions open (the standard turn down letter) will keep application on file. is this legal? to one day say you are still hired (both verbally and thru email) then this? there is another boy in my sons troop the same thing happened to them, only they didnt get the paperwork to fill out, and both boys have asburgers (autism). I went to the boy scout council to find out what is going on, the person I spoke to is going to speak to a higher up and let me know (the person my son was dealing with is not at that office). From what I was told from the other boys parents, there was some mixup when the new person stepped in and some people got dropped but that is their mistake and not the kids.

Is this legal???
Yes. Unless a contract states otherwise, the employment is considered "at-will"; both the employer and the employee can leave the relationship at any point, including canceling the employment before it starts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">