• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hired then fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sercar

I resigned from a job because I got hired with another job better pay and benefits. I transferred my license over to the new job. I passed the background check and went through orientation. Passed the test with a 100% got my certificate met my new supervisor. I picked up my new uniforms and all equipment for the job basically I'm hired. I get a call from H.R. two days before I go on post informing me I'm not eligible for rehire. But I'm already re-hired with the company I went through all the necessary process and even quit my previous job.

The reason they gave me is I use to work for them years ago. They have it in there system that I'm not eligible for rehire. Why would they hire me and make me go through the whole process. I never was terminated to my knowledge. I was only working for them on Saturdays only 8 hours per week. Technically I'm hired but now they are saying I can't work for them. Shouldn't a red flag came up in the system stating not eligible for rehire. I can't even look for another job until I get my hard license which can take up to 3 weeks.

I have 5 children and bills I'm really going through a financial hardship. I quit my previous job to work for these people not knowing I wasn't eligible for rehire. I wouldn't never reapplied. I have all documents, uniforms, equipment, hiring letter, certificate, new licencse (temporary), and employee handbook.

Can I take this company to court for financial hardship? Please any advice and this is taking place in Washington DC. This is one of the biggest security companies.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have no grounds on which to take them to court. Sometimes it takes a while for records to surface. It's a shame this happened but they've done nothing illegal.

commentator

Go back to your old company where you resigned and ask them if you can have your job back. sometimes that works. If so, go back to work. If not, file at once for unemployment benefits. Explain to them how you thought for sure you had another job, and that was the reason you resigned from your former position. It is a "maybe, possibly" deal that you would get approved. It will take quite a while to process whether it's a yes or no. Start looking LIKE CRAZY for a new job. With all the responsibilities you have financially, you need something else, and you need it quick. Even much quicker than unemployment, IF you happened to get unemployment benefits approved after this quit. So just basically, figure you're out of a job now and you need another one.

But can you take the new employer to court because they hired you and then decided not to hire you, or to fire you, for "financial hardship"? Er, NO. At present, there's no such law, no such lawsuit. It's an "at will" state, and as you could legally have decided at the last minute that you didn't want their job, they can decide at the last minute, for whatever reason, that they don't want to hire you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">