• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hired then not hired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RegFuller

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Alabama. Today I got a call saying I was being offered a job. It is just a convenience store but it is on Gunter Military base. They had me fill out some background check forms online and send them in and not long after that they called me back and told me they couldn't hire me because I had a DUI. I put this on my application before they even interviewed me so I was really disappointed.

It's probably just a case of life not being fair but something doesn't seem right. Can they really not hire me for a job that has nothing to do with driving because I had a DUI six years ago?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Alabama. Today I got a call saying I was being offered a job. It is just a convenience store but it is on Gunter Military base. They had me fill out some background check forms online and send them in and not long after that they called me back and told me they couldn't hire me because I had a DUI. I put this on my application before they even interviewed me so I was really disappointed.

It's probably just a case of life not being fair but something doesn't seem right. Can they really not hire me for a job that has nothing to do with driving because I had a DUI six years ago?
Yup. Maybe they didn't read it carefully, or maybe it was unclear as to whether or not it would show on a background check. Either way, the offer was tentative, most likely until the background check came back. And when it did, they decided to rescind the offer.

You'll just have to chalk this one up to life not being fair.

RegFuller

Yup. Maybe they didn't read it carefully, or maybe it was unclear as to whether or not it would show on a background check. Either way, the offer was tentative, most likely until the background check came back. And when it did, they decided to rescind the offer.

You'll just have to chalk this one up to life not being fair.
I'm not sure if they even did the back ground check. It was just 30 minutes after I filled out the form. I thought it would take a little longer than that.

Well, thanks for replying. At least I have one thing off my mind, maybe I will sleep a little better tonight. Besides it wasn't that great of a job and I would have been a great employee so I'll just say it's their loss.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Depending on what company is used, what information is requested, and who the employer is, some background checks are more or less immediate. The one my employer performed on me when I was first hired took much less than half an hour.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">