• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hired under false pretenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rcf

What is the name of your state? PA

I was hired for a temporary assignment; verbally told by the supervisor whom I interviewed with plus have e-mails stating temp. status and was given a specific end date (replacing someone on maternity leave). This position was to end 2/28/05; my supervisor found out that the person extended her maternity leave and we reached an agreement that I would stay to the beginning of April. In April, when I requested my furlough letter, the managing director would not give me one. I reduced my hours to temp. part-time so I could go back to subbing in schools. I did sign a job description and a letter of employment but this was done under the understanding that this was a temp. assignment. Now I am finding out that the employer considered me permanent FT and not temporary although I have had a temp badge since the beginning and still do. I would like to know if this is legal when a verbal contract was given and the auspice of the position being temporary?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is what legal? Having a difference of opinion with you as to your employment status? Yes, that's legal.

A "verbal contract" is worth the paper it's printed on and an employment agreement is not, in 999 time out of 1000, a binding contract. If you don't want to work there any more, quit. If you want to know if the employer has violated any laws, no, they haven't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">