• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hired under false pretenses...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

03SqualoGT

What is the name of your state? Florida

I took a job with a non profit organization a few months ago, feel as though I was misled during the interview, and am wondering if I have any recourse.

1) When I was hired, the job posting, web site, and correspondence I received advertised the organization as an international one that shared an office with a national one. Shortly after beginning the position, I learned that the "international" organization wasn't really registered, it was simply a division of the national one. They refer to it as a separate organization because they do not want potential international partners to realize it is U.S. based.

2) I was also told that our programs were offered free of charge for underprivileged children, when they really hope to eventually charge national governments for the programs. Hardly charitable, and not something I want to be a part of.

3)They were misleading about the benefits. They told me that I would have them after 90 days. It ended up that they didn't turn in the paper work until then, so it ended up being 120 days. When I asked about the vacation policy, my soon to be boss told me that she didn't want to send me the policy because it looked stricter than it really was. She said they were very flexible and family oriented. Turns out, I get one day off after 90 days, and five AFTER a year of working there. I needed two separate days off after 5 months had passed, and it was a major deal to get them off (I did though).

The organization has had a dozen people leave or get fired out of a total staff of about 35, in the six months I have been there. Needless to say, I am planning on resigning. Would I have had any recourse for any of those issues?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sure - depends on what your employment contract says though. Oh, you don't have one? Quit and find another job then.

quincy

Most non-profit organizations and charitable organizations seek federal funding to help support their programs.

The benefits paperwork being turned in was your responsibility - the fact that you turned it in 90 days after you started employment is certainly nothing you can blame them for. And the vacation policy seems pretty standard. I certainly wouldn't expect a vacation shortly after I started working somewhere.

And I have NO idea why the national/international issue bothers you at all.

So, no, you really have no recourse other than to quit, as Zigner suggested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">