• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hired under false pretenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jli

I was hired to do a job that required expertise in the field. I have that knowledge and skill. The company moved me from to the west coast from the east coast. When I started to do what I was hired to do, I was told that isn't what is wanted anymore. What the company wanted was productivity that required only entry level skills and that is NOT why I was hired. Eventually I had a choice of resigning or being fired because "my goals were not the same as theirs". I was carrying out the goals set for my hiring. Basically I was hired under false pretenses. Do I have a case?

J

JasonRT

Dear jli,

Some questions:

1. Was your compensation in any way different from what the company agreed to when you were hired?

2. Are you unable to complete the work that the company has assigned?

3. Does the work you are being assigned require substantially more skill and knowledge than you demonstrated during your job interview?

If you answered no to all three questions, I suggest you take a look inside and try and figure out why you're fighting with this company. You are there to earn a living, if you are being paid what you expected, why are you so upset about your current position?

[email protected]

J

jli

Jason

All of my answers are no, however, let me ask you this...If you were hired to be an administrator which used your knowledge from the years of college study (Masters level) and work experience that you have(19 years in the field), uproot your family to move 3000 miles to fulfill what you were hired for, then you were asked to do entry level work, would you want to look inside to see what is wrong with your thinking?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Here's one for you; if the business needs of the company changed and they no longer had a need for the skills they had hired you for, would you rather be laid off or kept on in a lesser capacity?

J

JasonRT

JLI,

I am sorry that your new position doesn't have enough "sizzle" for you, but you have no claims. You should go to work happily and appreciate the paycheck they are giving you. If you can market your expertise to another company for more money then do so, if not, perhaps your expertise isn't worth as much as you originally thought it was?

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">