• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hiring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Shelia

What is the name of your state? Texas

Because of reglious beliefs, could your employer fire or not hire you because you can not work on Sundays? Because they are a 24/7 store.
And If you are not scheduled to come in on Sunday and your employer calls you to come in and tell that person No, I can not come in because of church, could your employer fire you?

Beth3

"Because of reglious beliefs, could your employer fire or not hire you because you can not work on Sundays?" Maybe. An employer has to make a reasonable attempt to accommodate an employee's sincerely held religious beliefs. But that doesn't mean an employer HAS to accomodate them. An employer is not obligated to incur anything beyond deminimus cost to accommodate an employee (i.e. they do not have to pay someone else overtime) nor do they have to disaccommodate another employee to accommodate you.

"And If you are not scheduled to come in on Sunday and your employer calls you to come in and tell that person No, I can not come in because of church, could your employer fire you?" Yes, if they cannot reasonably get someone else to work that day.

Other things to consider are whether it is simply the employee's preference not to work on Sundays (as is often the case) as opposed to the employee's religion forbids working on Sunday (which is much less common.) An employee's preference does not have to be accommodated.

If an individual wishes to be assured of not working on Sundays, they shouldn't accept employment at a 24/7 store.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">