• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring application agreement questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

john509123

Can someone please help me interpret the following two clauses. (Listed at the bottom)

My concern with the first clause is that I am currently a freelancer on the side, does this clause restrict me from being able to work for this company and being a freelancer on the side.

My concern with the second clause is that I will be working for a 3rd party company as a contractor does the second clause restrict me from working directly for the 3rd pary until i have left the company for a year?

Is there any warrant to my Concerns?

1. Employee agrees to apply his entire productive time, attention and energies to the business of the Company. Employee shall not, during the term of this Agreement, be engaged in any other business activity, whether or not for gain, profit or other pecuniary advantage and whether or not such activity is related to the business activity of the Company, without the express written consent of the Company.

2. During the term of Employee’s employment and for a period of one (1) year after the termination thereof for any reason whatsoever, Employee shall not, directly or indirectly, for himself or on behalf of any other person, firm, corporation or other entity that competes, in any way, with the Company: (a) induce or attempt to influence any employee of the Company to terminate his employment with the Company; (b) solicit, service, divert or accept any person, firm, corporation or other entity with whom Employee had personally dealt while employed by the Company as a customer, or client (c) solicit, divert or accept the referral of any person firm, corporation or other entity as a customer, client or recruit from any referral source with which Employee had personally dealt while employed by the Company.

Beth3

My concern with the first clause is that I am currently a freelancer on the side, does this clause restrict me from being able to work for this company and being a freelancer on the side. Yes - the clause is very clear about that.

My concern with the second clause is that I will be working for a 3rd party company as a contractor does the second clause restrict me from working directly for the 3rd pary until i have left the company for a year? It does not appear so. This clause prohibits you from soliciting anyone or any entity as an employee or client of a another organization with whom your employer has business dealings.

However what's possible is that your employer has an agreement directly with their clients that prohibits them from hiring their employees for a one-year period (or longer) following an assignment. That's quite common in leased consulting arrangements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">