• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring a cleaning lady

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momestate

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I have faced some hefty health issues this past year and find myself needing to hire someone to clean my house since I no longer can do it myself. My sister just found a young woman who advertised in the paper who cleans houses for $10 an hour. The price is right since I have missed so much work and have medical bills a mile high, but I am a little nervous about hiring her because she works on her own and is not bonded or insured by a company. What legal problems would I be facing if she hurts herself while cleaning my house, or what if she steals from me? Are there other legal issues that I need to be worried about? Do I need to write up a contract between us, or anything? Am i making too much out of this? She may just be a nice girl making and honest living, but in this day and age it's hard to trust. Thanks for any advice in advance!

Last edited:

ecmst12

Your homeowner's insurance should cover if she is injured in your home. Same for theft and if she damages your property, but you'd have a deductible and they would attempt to go after her for damages she caused. If she has no business liability insurance, she'd end up in some serious financial trouble. But that's a risk she is taking. You should ask for references, especially if she is going to be in your home when you are not there. And a contract is a very good idea. The only other issue I can think of offhand is taxes - she'd be an independent contractor so if she is honest and pays her taxes, she'll need you to give her a 1099 to declare her income (I think).

>Charlotte<

Lurker
The only other issue I can think of offhand is taxes - she'd be an independent contractor so if she is honest and pays her taxes, she'll need you to give her a 1099 to declare her income (I think).
I think a 1099 only applies if the total for the year is over $600. Of course, a couple of hours a week at $10 would qualify.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">