• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hiring a contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ACS

Texas

I had a contractor solicit my business. I could really use her services.

I thought maybe that she was not a citizen, she advised me that she was born in Mexico and has been the in US for almost 8 years. I asked for proof - documentation. Here is what she supplied me:

SS card with her name and ss number, a regular card, no validation of ability to work or not work in the us.

A Texas dept. of public safety ID card w/picture. good through 2006 ( not a DL)

General liability insurance in her name. She does not have a D.B.A. - easy to get though.

Is She a contractor with the proper documentation? Can I use her services.

Any links would be helpful too...believe me I tried surffing for this contractor work information. I did learn that contractors don't have to fill out an I9 form.

Thanks

JETX

There is no 'official sanction' for contractors in Texas.
It sounds like she is providing you with the information you are requesting. The only thing you don't mention is have you gotten AND CHECKED her references???

ACS

thanks JETX!

Thank you for your reply, I will be checking her out. I was concerned that I may need a green card, I guess not if she is carrying a valid SS#

Should I call the SS office to verify who it belongs too?

Thanks again

R

Ramoth

You can only verify SS numbers for employees, not contractors. Check her references, and make your decision that way. You have done more than most to be sure that she is legal to work here, you should have no problems with Immigration should she turn out to be illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">