• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring Convicted Criminals?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilycakes

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arizona

My story is very long but basically boils down to one legal question: Does an employer have a legal obligation/responsibility to inform its employees that it has hired convicted criminals who are currently on supervised parole?

(This seemed to be the most appropriate discussion to post this in. Please re-direct me if it's not.)

Thank you VERY much.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Going solely on what is in your post, the answer has to be no, the employer has no such responsibility. In fact, doing so might very well be considered a breach of privacy in some cases.

I can think of situations in which there might be exceptions, but as a general rule, the answer to your question is No.

lilycakes

Thank you so much, cbg, for your very quick response!

I can't imagine that this would make for such an exception but I'm so terrifically hoping that they need to. This is a small manufacturing firm with less than 100 employees and there's been a sudden hiring binge of about a dozen employees. I've only been given two names and both have long, violent criminal histories with one being convicted of murder and the other armed robbery, many disciplinary actions in prison with many for violence and sex, and one is noted at being at "high risk" for public safety.

I don't know if the fact that these are violent criminals might make any difference?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">